This is my husband’s favorite salad. Actually it’s the “vegetable” that I pack in his lunch often. But this is a great salad for any holiday or get-together.
Jeff's Favorite Asian Sweet & Sour Bean Salad
Perfect salad for make 'n take pitch-ins, lunches and time-pressed cooks.
Author: Kim Galeaz RDN CD
Serves: 6 - 12 servings
- 3 cans (14.5 oz.) cut green beans, drained
- 1 bag (16 oz.) frozen shelled edamame, thawed and microwaved
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) dark kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup finely chopped red onion
- ½ cup corn, canola or vegetable oil
- ¾ cup unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 heaping teaspoon Chinese mustard
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, lightly stir all beans and red onion together. In a separate small bowl, whisk together vegetable oil, rice wine vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Add to beans and stir just to combine/blend. Enjoy immediately. Refrigerate salad in a tightly covered container. Makes about 11 ½ cups salad.
- Kim’s Healthy in a Hurry Lunch Tip: Enjoy a big serving of this salad with Jeff’s favorite Ham, Apple & Cheese Sandwich (whole wheat pita pocket with deli ham, sliced cheese and thinly sliced apples…a little honey or zesty mustard, too.)