Three cheers for tomato soup that’s fast, easy and filled with all the right nutrients to keep you healthy and happy. Except for chopping the onion and garlic, you simply open and dump canned and jarred ingredients. Technically, you could use already chopped fresh or frozen onion and ready-to-use chopped garlic to save even more time.
Tomatoes, red pepper, garlic and onions give you tremendous immune-boosting, disease-fighting nutrients. Good for healthy blood pressure and heart health, too.
So get that pot on the stovetop now and whip up a batch of my Spicy Tomato Red Pepper Soup for the whole family. Enjoy with a leafy greens salad and some wonderful crusty bread and you’re good to go!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped onions
- 2-3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 can (28 oz.) Kroger crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (16 oz.) roasted red bell peppers, drained
- 3 tablespoons Kroger tomato paste
- 1 cup Kroger vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 – 2 teaspoons dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 cup whole milk (or half & half)
- Garnishes: croutons, shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large stock pot or 5 quart Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and heat 1 minute. Add crushed tomatoes, red peppers, tomato paste and vegetable broth, stirring well. Stir in Italian seasoning, basil, red and black peppers and bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer and cook 5 minutes. Turn off heat and stir/whisk in milk or half & half. Blend with immersion blender (or food processor in batches.) Reheat a couple minutes if necessary after blending. Serve hot with garnishes if desired. Refrigerate leftovers in tightly covered container and enjoy within 4 days.
- Makes about 7 cups total soup.