Good posture. Standing and sitting up straight.
I wish I could say I do it all the time and it’s one of the main reasons I’m vibrant at sixty. Instead, I have to remind myself daily to stand up straight or sit correctly in my chair. I find myself slouching/hunching in the check-out line at the grocery store or Target. While waiting for boxing class to start. On the elliptical or arc trainer at the YMCA. Setting up my segment displays at the television station. Sitting in my office writing, like right now.
You’d think after having sixty years to practice perfect posture, I’d be a pro and have it down pat. But no, it’s a constant challenge. And I need and want to improve – not merely for appearance reasons – but for overall health at this stage in my life. Better posture really is critical for overall health and aging vibrantly.
The benefits of better posture include:
- Looking and feeling more confident, self-assured and even more powerful.
- Feeling more positive, upbeat and even more energetic.
- Feeling more motivated, with almost a “charge ahead” attitude/stance.
- Helping you breathe optimally because you’re opening all the airways properly.
- Keeping your joints, ligaments, muscles and bones healthier because everything is properly aligned and experiences less stress/strain.
- Helping protect spinal joints from injury and deformity (like a permanent hunch).
I know Jeff will keep reminding me lovingly that I’m hunching or slouching, and I’m okay with that. We help each other with this daily. It’s even okay if you kindly tell me, because I want to consistently improve.
Let me know what you do to remind yourself about standing and sitting up straight for best health.