Game Strategy: create a big batch chili to wow guests at your next Tailgate Party.
Defensive Move: cut kitchen prep time by giving those lean pork cubes a quick skillet sizzle, then letting the Colts Crock Pot do the rest of the work.
Offensive Play: use ingredients with both great taste AND good nutrition, like lean pork loin, onions and hominy (corn), so you’re guests stay healthy and happy.
Avoid Fumbles: serve this chili with plenty of nutrient-rich toppings like crushed corn tortilla chips, shredded cheese, radish slices, angel hair coleslaw, sour cream, cilantro and lime wedges.
Gain Yardage: make and serve my whole-grain cornbread alongside this chili. http://kimgaleaz.com/2015/10/fall-football-favorites/
- 1 ½ tablespoons vegetable (soybean) oil or corn oil
- 2 pounds boneless pork loin chops, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 5-6 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 4-5 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 jar (16 oz.) salsa verde (green chili salsa)
- 2 large poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 cans (4 to 4.5 oz. each) chopped green chilies, undrained
- 2 cans (15.5 oz. each) white or golden hominy, rinsed and drained
- 2 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon ground ancho chili pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 can (15-16 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Garnishes/toppings: Crushed corn tortilla chips, cilantro, sour cream, angel hair coleslaw, sliced radishes, lime wedges.
- Heat oil in a large 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add one half of the pork cubes and cook, browning on all sides and stirring frequently, about 7-9 minutes. Repeat with remaining half of pork cubes. Place browned pork cubes in 5-6 quart slow cooker pot along with broth, onions, garlic, poblanos, green chilies, hominy, cumin, ancho chili pepper, oregano, cloves, black and red pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 6 ½ hours. Remove ½ cup chili liquid to a glass bowl and add flour; stir to make a paste. Add this paste back to chili and stir well. Add beans and stir. Cook another 30-45 minutes, until chili is thickened slightly. Stir in cilantro. Serve with desired garnishes and toppings.